Let the Beatings Begin! How a few daily practices kept her brother alive…
This is no joke. It isn’t a staged picture. No, this is an actual photo of my daughter taken at 8am as I am rushing to get everyone in the car and off to school. When this sweet angel came down to get her coat on, you can only imagine my shock. When I found that her 5 year old brother did this to her, I had to make a choice: yell like a possessed demon and threaten bodily injury, or take a deep breath and let my daily practices guide me in some sane and loving manor.
Well, I am happy to say that her brother is alive and well, and that the 2+ years I have been “working” on myself seems to be paying off. The old me would have freaked out, felt like the world was going to end, made matters worse by yelling, threatening, and releasing an occasional swear word. The more centered me felt an initial shock, but that hook didn’t have the hold it once did. I knew no one was going to die of ink poisoning, fail school for being 10 minutes late, or be encouraged into a life of crime if I laughed. And thats exactly what I ended up doing: laughing.
If I had to attribute this successful outcome to one daily practice that I have incorporated, it would be a morning meditation. It sets the course for the whole day. Can you imagine taking a test without preparing for it? Well, look at this as an SAT prep course for your day…
- Wake up at least 30-60 minutes before the kids start stirring
- Journal 2-3 pages of random thoughts, lists, feelings, dreams
- Warm up the body with yoga stretches for 5-10 minutes
- Get comfy in a chair and recite any intentions you have for the day and/or visualize how you want your day to look. For example, if you want to have a great, happy morning, imagine your kids coming down dressed, ready for school, with big smiles! Disclaimer: children do not always follow our cerebral suggestions…darn it.
- Spend 5-10 minutes sitting with a quiet mind. Thats all that meditation is. Allow and trust you are getting whatever divine downloads you need!